[cap-talk] Rich Sharing and Clusterken videos come to YouTube

Stiegler, Marc D marc.d.stiegler at hp.com
Thu Mar 15 09:50:16 PDT 2012

You identify a number of threats in the critique below. While important, they are only some of the threats that should be considered when comparing webkeys today to the other alternatives available today (rather than to a more perfect hypothetical future world). I believe your criticisms approximately align with the shoulder surfing and social engineering criteria in the decision matrix video comparing webkeys to passwords. To the extent they are not, then they should be added as additional criteria. Even then, it's not clear the result would compellingly argue in favor of sticking with passwords until we have revamped the world to better support webkeys. Even if webkeys are currently only approximately equal, on pure security criteria, to passwords, I think webkeys would win once you include usability (zero-signon click and go) and functionality (rich sharing).

Ben Laurie's post on evaluation criteria for password replacements is a marvelous enhancement of my decision matrix video. I'm still digesting it, but it looks like a better place to start to do a hardcore decision matrix.

--marcs