More questions about proxy & data comm: Properties!

Bill Frantz frantz@netcom.com
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:50:40 -0700

[#] I don't have a reason to prefer either the e.<name> or just the <name>
for the properties.  However I do think that consistency is of great value,
so pick one form and stick with it.  Obviously, consistency in the code is
of even greater value.  :-)

At 8:34 PM -0700 12/25/98, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>My working hypothesis is that the first in each of the following pairs is
>the more correct one, but advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>---------------------------
>
>in EEnvironment.java:
>
>        /* Become persistifiable, maybe */
>        myStableStoreManager =
>            new StableStoreManager(props.getProperty("e.CheckpointFile"),
>                                   myPassphrase,
>                                   true);
>
>in CheckpointPassphraseVerifier.java:
>
>        String checkpoint = myProps.getProperty("e.Checkpoint");
>
>-------------------------------
>
>in EEnvironment.java:
>
>      /* Turn on the comm system... */
>      myProxyManager = new ProxyManager(myRootStateBundle.vatIdentity,
>                                        searchPath,
>                                        myRootStateBundle.registrationTable,
>                                        getProperty("e.ListenAddress"));
>
>now in ConnectionsManager.java:
>
>        //Create the listen thread
>        if (null == listenAddress) {
>            //XXX Commented out by MarkM.  Bill?  Chip?
>            //listenAddress = System.getProperty("ListenAddress");
>
>            if (null == listenAddress) {
>                //Listen on any available port
>                listenAddress = "localhost:0";
>            }
>        }
>
>---------------------------
>
>still in EEnvironment.java:
>
>        /* Make sure there's a search path to us */
>        String flattenedSearchPath = props.getProperty("e.SearchPath",
>                    //XXX Default is a hack for testing under Cafe
>                    "localhost:4567;localhost:4568");
>
>used to be in ConnectionsManager.java:
>
>     //XXX should use the e properties object (as held by the EEnvironment)
>     myLocalFlattenedSearchPath = System.getProperty("SearchPath",
>                 //XXX Default is a hack for testing under Cafe
>                 "localhost:4567;localhost:4568");

>Btw, even where I'm guessing correctly, it would be greatly reassuring to
>know this.  Thanks in advance.
>
>	Cheers,
>	--MarkM

Bill Frantz       | Macintosh: Didn't do every-| Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | thing right, but did know  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | the century would end.     | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA