More questions about proxy & data comm: Properties!

Chip Morningstar chip@communities.com
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:49:03 -0800 (PST)

>From markm@caplet.com  Tue Dec 29 14:43:50 1998

I tried to clean these up, but obviously I missed a few...

>My working hypothesis is that the first in each of the following pairs is
>the more correct one, but advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>---------------------------
>
>in EEnvironment.java:
>
>        /* Become persistifiable, maybe */
>        myStableStoreManager =
>            new StableStoreManager(props.getProperty("e.CheckpointFile"),
>                                   myPassphrase,
>                                   true);
>
>in CheckpointPassphraseVerifier.java:
>
>        String checkpoint = myProps.getProperty("e.Checkpoint");

[+] The first is the correct one. The second is a mistake.

>-------------------------------
>
>in EEnvironment.java:
>
>      /* Turn on the comm system... */
>      myProxyManager = new ProxyManager(myRootStateBundle.vatIdentity,
>                                        searchPath,
>                                        myRootStateBundle.registrationTable,
>                                        getProperty("e.ListenAddress"));
>
>now in ConnectionsManager.java:
>
>        //Create the listen thread
>        if (null == listenAddress) {
>            //XXX Commented out by MarkM.  Bill?  Chip?
>            //listenAddress = System.getProperty("ListenAddress");
>
>            if (null == listenAddress) {
>                //Listen on any available port
>                listenAddress = "localhost:0";
>            }
>        }

[+] The first is correct.
The second is an historical vestige of DataComm testing (note that not only is
the name in the second case different, but it gets the prop from the System
properties instead of the E properties. Yikes!)

>---------------------------
>
>still in EEnvironment.java:
>
>        /* Make sure there's a search path to us */
>        String flattenedSearchPath = props.getProperty("e.SearchPath",
>                    //XXX Default is a hack for testing under Cafe
>                    "localhost:4567;localhost:4568");
>
>used to be in ConnectionsManager.java:
>
>     //XXX should use the e properties object (as held by the EEnvironment)
>     myLocalFlattenedSearchPath = System.getProperty("SearchPath",
>                 //XXX Default is a hack for testing under Cafe
>                 "localhost:4567;localhost:4568");

The first is more correct. Whether it is actually correct is less clear.

>Btw, even where I'm guessing correctly, it would be greatly reassuring to
>know this.  Thanks in advance.

[+] Good guesses!