Showing without closing

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:00:24 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BE1087.2548A5E0

So, I have this gui app. I run pieces of it in Elmer and they work (more =
on Elmer in another email). However, if I run it in pure E, when I =
show() the window, the E interpreter tosses off the show() request and =
continues processing...but there's nothing else to do, so E finishes, =
shuts down, and in the process of shutting down it closes the window.

My current work around (I don't believe I did this!) is to put a =
while(true) loop at the end of the program to keep the interpreter =
alive. Works fine, except after I close the Window I still have to use =
Win95 shutdown machinery to force the E interpreter to stop and close =
its console window.

I'd bet that the right way to do this is to use Promises somehow, as in =
promise to return a value to the creator of the window when the window =
closes. Am I right? If so, markm, what day this coming week can you =
commit to completing a really bad draft of the concurrency chapter, so I =
can find out how to do it? (and remember, sending me an answer to the =
immediate problem in email is not an acceptable solution to the problem =
:-)

--marcs

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BE1087.2548A5E0

So, I have this gui app. I run = pieces of it in=20 Elmer and they work (more on Elmer in another email). However, if I run = it in=20 pure E, when I show() the window, the E interpreter tosses off the = show()=20 request and continues processing...but there's nothing else to do, so E=20 finishes, shuts down, and in the process of shutting down it closes the=20 window.

My current work around (I don't = believe I did=20 this!) is to put a while(true) loop at the end of the program to keep = the=20 interpreter alive. Works fine, except after I close the Window I still = have to=20 use Win95 shutdown machinery to force the E interpreter to stop and = close its=20 console window.

I'd bet that the right way to do = this is to use=20 Promises somehow, as in promise to return a value to the creator of the = window=20 when the window closes. Am I right? If so, markm, what day this coming = week can=20 you commit to completing a really bad draft of the concurrency chapter, = so I can=20 find out how to do it? (and remember, sending me an answer to the = immediate=20 problem in email is not an acceptable solution to the problem = :-)

--marcs
------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BE1087.2548A5E0--