Types, Makers, and Inheritance

Chip Morningstar chip@communities.com
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:33:19 -0700 (PDT)

Tyler sez:
>I would like to propose a new design heuristic. Anything that causes Ping
>to make a diagram is too complex and must be simplified.

I think this is a fine heuristic, as long as our benchmark is Ping and
not MarkM. MarkM will make a diagram for anything :-)

>I would like the type object and maker object to be identical (ie: no
>separate type object). I will also reiterate my desire to eliminate

I agree. While the separation of type and maker has a certain
conceptual elegance, this does not IMHO come near to offsetting the
additional cognitive and notational overhead of having yet another
abstraction to keep track of, explain, code, etc.

  Chip Morningstar                                    Electric Communities
  chip@communities.com             10101 N.DeAnza Blvd, Cupertino CA 95014
  http://www.communities.com/people/chip                      408-342-9522

	      "It's now safe to turn off your computer."