Defeated by classpath

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:17:09 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE590F.66A01020

Well, I backed off from my whole installation and did my best to =
mechanically perform the cryptix installation ritual.

Interesting note: for the runtime java 1.1.7, i.e., the jre executable, =
the jre docs explicitly state that the CLASSPATH environment variable is =
ignored. Does this surprise anyone? The recommendation is to use the -cp =
or the -classpath options in the command line. Using -classpath doesn't =
really make much sense either, because you then have to manually include =
all the paths for all the stuff in the jre; only -cp, which appends, =
seems sensible, and runs E just fine as long as you don't try to use =
cryptix.

The bottom line is, I'm still getting the warning at startup that the =
cryptix properties file failed to load, even though at least one file =
named cryptix.properties is sitting there staring at me (though I would =
have expected this file to be a part of one of the jars, =
actually...makes no difference, all the choices are on the classpath). =
In fact, I have now copied cryptix.properties into just about every =
folder in my system, just to see if it could find it if I put it in =
enough places. Sigh.

I have at this point tried a large number of variations on the basic =
batch file, but for the sake of completeness, the latest one I tried was

bin\jre   -cp =
d:\programs\jre11\eJar.jar;d:\programs\jre11\swing.jar;d:\programs\jre11\=
oromatcher.jar;d:\cryptix\ALG_0-0-9.jar;d:\cryptix\SPT_0-0-9.jar;d:\crypt=
ix\IJCE_0-0-11.jar;d:\cryptix\;d:\cryptix\ELGAMAL_0-0-2.jar;d:\cryptix\TO=
OLS_X-Y-Z.jar org.erights.e.elang.interp.Interp eChat\eChat4.txt =
>chatout.txt

I am completely out of ideas of what I've done wrong. Unless someone has =
a great insight, I guess I won't be demoing secure Echat for my class =
tomorrow night.

As a philosophical aside, the cryptix folk have in one fell swoop gone =
from having a delightfully simple installation to having a nightmare.

--marcs

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE590F.66A01020

Well, I backed off from my whole = installation=20 and did my best to mechanically perform the cryptix installation=20 ritual.

Interesting note: for the runtime = java 1.1.7,=20 i.e., the jre executable, the jre docs explicitly state that the = CLASSPATH=20 environment variable is ignored. Does this surprise anyone? The = recommendation=20 is to use the -cp or the -classpath options in the command line. Using=20 -classpath doesn't really make much sense either, because you then have = to=20 manually include all the paths for all the stuff in the jre; only -cp, = which=20 appends, seems sensible, and runs E just fine as long as you don't try = to use=20 cryptix.

The bottom line is, I'm still = getting the=20 warning at startup that the cryptix properties file failed to load, even = though=20 at least one file named cryptix.properties is sitting there staring at = me=20 (though I would have expected this file to be a part of one of the jars, = actually...makes no difference, all the choices are on the classpath). = In fact,=20 I have now copied cryptix.properties into just about every folder in my = system,=20 just to see if it could find it if I put it in enough places. = Sigh.

I have at this point tried a large = number of=20 variations on the basic batch file, but for the sake of completeness, = the latest=20 one I tried was

bin\jre   -cp=20 d:\programs\jre11\eJar.jar;d:\programs\jre11\swing.jar;d:\programs\jre11\= oromatcher.jar;d:\cryptix\ALG_0-0-9.jar;d:\cryptix\SPT_0-0-9.jar;d:\crypt= ix\IJCE_0-0-11.jar;d:\cryptix\;d:\cryptix\ELGAMAL_0-0-2.jar;d:\cryptix\TO= OLS_X-Y-Z.jar=20 org.erights.e.elang.interp.Interp eChat\eChat4.txt = >chatout.txt

I am completely out of ideas of what = I've done=20 wrong. Unless someone has a great insight, I guess I won't be demoing = secure=20 Echat for my class tomorrow night.

As a philosophical aside, the = cryptix folk have=20 in one fell swoop gone from having a delightfully simple installation to = having=20 a nightmare.

--marcs
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE590F.66A01020--