Bug Report: Minor E Distribution Weirdness
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:19:04 -0700
Probably irrelevant but related factoids: Since I've been building my own
configurations, I hadn't seen this. But as you may know, I generally rename
all these things to have simple names, like "swing.jar", so I have fewer
opportunities to screwup when writing my classpaths in batch files. Names
like swing.jar work just fine as long as you use them consistently.
From: Mark S. Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: E Language Discussions <email@example.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 1:15 AM
Subject: Bug Report: Minor E Distribution Weirdness
>I'm currently trying to reproduce MarcS' bugs. (So far, I'd been
>rigorously avoiding development using E, rather than daffE, to ensure that
>I didn't get confused and check in an E.) In any case, in bringing up an
>Elmer for E, the first problem I ran into is that the swing jar file in the
>distribution was named "swingall-1_0_3.jar", rather than
>"swingall-1.0.3.jar". Since elmer.bat and e.bat expect the latter, Elmer
>wouldn't launch from the icon until I fixed it.
>I haven't yet tried to isolate where in the production process this may
>have happened. It might very well be that some Windows tool is secretly
>hostile to multiple dots in a file name, and silently renamed this. If
>there's a reason to call it swingall-1_0_3.jar, we certainly can.