IP Addressing Problems: on my laptop

Bill Frantz frantz@communities.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:38:31 -0800

At 02:02 PM 1/11/99 -0800, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>The result of the above inquiry is cached, but, at least in JDK1.1, there's
>no way to invalidate this cache.

[#] In the Microcosm days, the only workaround we could think of was a
native method.

>This problem is addressed (is this true??) in current E by having the VLS
>use the IP address it believes the incoming connection came in on, rather
>than IP addresses the registrant might try to determine about itself.  Is
>this adequate for situations where we can require VLS-based operation?

[#] VLS using the incoming IP address should work around the problem.  The
reason for having the VLS use the IP address it believes the incoming
connection came on is to handle Network Address Translation (NAT)
<http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1631.txt>