Thoughts on droplets -- clarification

Tyler Close tjclose@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:40:38 -0800 (PST)

shapj wrote:
> My understanding is that Droplets currently
> implements two capabilities:
> session specific capabilities and global
> capabilities.

I think you are probably trying to see my work in terms of
what you are working on and getting a distorted view.

Droplets(TM) has capabilities whose lifetime is bound to
the HTTP session and capabilities whose lifetime is
dictated by the application. This is done solely to support
garbage collection. It has no security implication.

Droplets(TM) has been designed with the belief that the
entirety of the security policy should be expressed in the
object's interface and the ability to limit access to this
interface through distribution patterns (i.e.: capability
semantics).

Tyler