Virtual sealer/unsealer Pairs (was: Comments on FC00 paper)

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 16:35:44 -0800

At 04:26 PM 11/2/99 , Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Mark S. Miller wrote:
> >
> > ? define VirtualBrandMaker pair(name) : any {
>
>What is this?  It doesn't parse as an object definition or
>a function definition to me.  Is it an object with a single
>method?  Have i forgotten something?

An object with a single method.  It is equivalent to

     define VirtualBrandMaker {
         to pair(name) : any {
         }
     }

as explained in the "Defining One Method Objects" section of the old
http://www.erights.org/elang/blocks/defFunc.html page.

>By the way, i dislike "pair" as the method name.  It's not a
>verb (well, even if it were to be taken as a verb, it doesn't
>signify "pairing up" anything).  Can we just go with "make"
>like everything else?

You're right.  How about "makePair(name)"?