Thoughts on droplets v. Notes

Tyler Close tjclose@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:12:07 -0800 (PST)

I wrote:
> shapj wrote:
> > For my edification, is there a reason to believe
> > that Swiss numbers are
> > preferable to cryptographically signed
> > capabilities from the standpoint of
> > security?
>
> None that I know of.

There was a third reason for choosing Swiss numbers that is
important here. Since BLOBs in the database are clustered,
it might not be wise to reveal their location, since this
could be used to infer more information about when a BLOB
was created and who created it. This follows the same logic
that MarkM used for mandating deterministic hashtables.

All in all, Swiss numbers just seem more opaque. It seems
trivial to convince yourself that you aren't leaking any
information or providing an attack point.

Tyler