Capabilities by any other name

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:45:12 -0800 (PST)

Douglas Crockford wrote:

> I hear some of those guys are pretty smart. I think they could keep up if
> your terminology is clear.
>
> "Death Before Confusion!"

Better yet, why don't we just get all of them in on this particular
terminology discussion too, so we can just agree on a term (whether
that be "capability", some other word plus "capability", or something
different entirely) and all be in sync?

Here are some terms i would be comfortable with:

    "capabilities"
    "capability pointers"
    "capability keys"
    "object keys"
    "object capability security"
    "object-based security"

-- ?!ng

"The only `intuitive' interface is the nipple.  After that, it's all learned."
    -- Burce Ediger, on user interfaces