EQ and join

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 09:58:15 -0700

At 05:57 PM 9/7/99 , Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>It occurred to me while driving to the dentist today that it
>might be possible to retain the flexibility that Dean described
>while still making it easy to do "join" in E.  Could the "join"
>function simply implement Dean's rendezvous-with-a-sealed-box
>protocol, hiding the tedium from the casual E user?

I like that.  I think I even know how to have it internally use Tyler's
technique to avoid creating an uncontrolled memory burden in the wrong
place.  I will try to define an interim semantics of join to accommodate
either technique.  I don't think this will be hard, and should allow us to
switch later if desired.  May I forward this correspondence to the e-lang list?