Versions of Java revisited

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:29:21 -0700

Since May, there has been an alpha port of Sun's JDK 1.2 to FreeBSD
http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/12.html .  We also seem blocked on moving
to Cryptix JCE because of a bug in the Java 1.1 compatibility code.  Until
we move to Cryptix JCE, we can't support JDK 1.3.  Given a choice between
supporting Java 1.1 vs Java 1.3, I'd prefer to support 1.3.  In light of
the FreeBSD Java announcement (an old announcement, but I only now took a
good look), I'm wondering how strong the reaction still is on the list to
dropping 1.1.  Speak now or forever forsake 1.1.

If we forsake 1.1, I propose to make sure everything works with 1.2 and 1.3
until there's a 1.3 on FreeBSD, but I'll strongly recommend using 1.3 if at
all possible.  As soon as we can drop 1.2 as well, I'd like to.

Why the hell are the FreeBSD people bothering with 1.2 rather than jumping
to 1.3?