Versions of Java revisited

Jeroen C. van Gelderen jeroen@vangelderen.org
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:38:17 -0400

Ben Laurie wrote:

> "Mark S. Miller" wrote:
> >
> > Since May, there has been an alpha port of Sun's JDK 1.2 to FreeBSD
> > http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/12.html .  We also seem blocked on moving
> > to Cryptix JCE because of a bug in the Java 1.1 compatibility code.  Until
> > we move to Cryptix JCE, we can't support JDK 1.3.  Given a choice between
> > supporting Java 1.1 vs Java 1.3, I'd prefer to support 1.3.  In light of
> > the FreeBSD Java announcement (an old announcement, but I only now took a
> > good look), I'm wondering how strong the reaction still is on the list to
> > dropping 1.1.  Speak now or forever forsake 1.1.
> >
> > If we forsake 1.1, I propose to make sure everything works with 1.2 and 1.3
> > until there's a 1.3 on FreeBSD, but I'll strongly recommend using 1.3 if at
> > all possible.  As soon as we can drop 1.2 as well, I'd like to.
> >
> > Why the hell are the FreeBSD people bothering with 1.2 rather than jumping
> > to 1.3?
>
> Having been involved in the whole horrible mess of getting 1.x (x > 1)
> on to FreeBSD _at all_, all I can say is "don't ask"!

Ben: It seems that the FreeBSD-Java porting team members
(not me) disagree with this statement. They used a less
flattering description but the bottom line is that the
people who are actually doing the porting seem to think
you are giving yourself a bit more credit than you deserve.

Anyway...

As for the reason JDK 1.2 is ported instead of JDK 1.3:
"we're going with 1.2 is because it's the closest thing to
a release. We'll move onto 1.3 *AFTER* we get 1.2 working,
since 1.3 depends on 1.2 working well." There apparently
is some merit in having the Blackdown team resolving most
porting bugs instead of having the FreeBSD people
independently reinventing the wheel.

Another problem for the FreeBSD porting team is actually
getting access to the 1.3 source code (HotSpot VM), a
problem one can only blame Sun for. Fortunately that
issue has recently been resolved and full source access
is now available (albeit under a restrictive license).

Last but not least, the alpha JDK 1.2.2 port for FreeBSD
(patchlevel 10) seems to work pretty well apart from some
GUI/X/Motif problems. If that doesn't do, you simply run
the latest Blackdown JDK 1.2.x port (RC4) under the Linux
ABI. Seems to even outperform Blackdown on native Linux.

If there is any specific problems I'm sure the porting
team could use a bug-report...

Cheers,
Jeroen

(who *is* involved in the whole 'horrible mess' of
happily running 5 JDKs on his FreeBSD 4.x box)
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)