IP: Wyoming sheriffs impose severe limits on federal enforcers!

Ralph Hartley hartley@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil
Mon, 03 Jan 2000 09:32:43 -0500

> This is very off topic, for which I apologize, but it will be of interest
> to most of the members of this list.

Nope! Typical email urban legend.

> >A forward of a forward from a friend.  Source unknown; ACCURACY UNKNOWN
> >(but it should be easy enough to check, since the U.S. District Court
> >decision is cited).

True enough, but who ever bothers?

> > >Case: Castaneda v. USA
> > >Filed: 10th May 1996
> > >Closed: 29th April 1997
> > >

> > >Case No: 2:1996cv00099 Wyoming District Court, Casper
> > >Nature of Suit: Civil Rights

Looks impressive, but if you look up the Wyoming District Court you
will discover that it is located in Cheyenne, not Casper. Took me ~1
minute to look that up.

I might add that the original author's (do these things really HAVE
original authors?) understanding of American law is also, not to put
too fine a point on it, a little foggy.

Ralph Hartley
hartley@aic.nrl.navy.mil