Bug: E on Java 1.3: SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java.security

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:39:23 -0800

Having gotten paranoid about the degree to which one Java is compatible with
another, I now have installed

     Symantec Visual Cafe 3.0a
         which contains a Javasoft derived 1.1.7a
     Javasoft's jdk
         1.1.8
         1.2
         1.2.2
         1.3-beta
     Javasoft's j2ee-beta (Enterprise Edition)

I've also got Microsoft's jview -- known not to work with E, and one from
IBM I am not currently actively testing against.  I think the IBM one came
with a version of VisualAge known not to work with E.  I have also not
tested E with j2ee.

The good news is that the current unreleased E works on everything from
1.1.7a to 1.2.2.  The bad news is that, on 1.3-beta, when two vats try to
connect, they fail because of a

java.io.IOException: 204.179.136.15:2387: java.lang.SecurityException:
Prohibited package name: java.security
   at org.erights.e.net.data.DataConnection.tryNextAddress(DataConnection.java:1139)
   at org.erights.e.net.data.DataConnection.shutDownFinished(DataConnection.java:926)
   at org.erights.e.net.data.DataPath.shutDownFinished(DataPath.java:883)
   at org.erights.e.net.data.DataCommThunk.run(DataCommThunk.java:186)
   at org.erights.e.elib.prim.Runner.now(Runner.java:242)
   at org.erights.e.net.data.SendThread.callDataPath(SendThread.java:286)
   at org.erights.e.net.data.SendThread.run(SendThread.java:544)

Skimming the Java 1.3 release notes, nothing jumped out at me as the obvious
change in the platform spec that would account for this.  At this point, I
have no idea whether this is Javasoft's bug or ours.  If it's theirs,
perhaps we can get it fixed before 1.3 leaves beta.  Anyone know when that is?