How Smart Contracts can help the Third World

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 14:43:02 -0700

I've just posted the first draft of the talk I'll be giving at Lex
Cybernetoria 2 http://www.LexCybernetoria.com/May2000Conference.html .  My
talk is

                    Contracting-out Contract Law:
     Importing Trust Into Low Trust Societies Electronically

The talk slides are in html at
http://www.erights.org/talks/lex-cyber-2/index.htm , or in Powerpoint at
http://www.erights.org/lex-cyber-2/nevis.ppt .  They
aren't self explanatory, but I imagine y'all will be able to figure out most
of what I'm going to say.  I'd love comments.  Unfortunately it is, as
always, the last minute.  I'll be cutting the transparencies tomorrow
evening, so if you're going to comment, it'll help a lot more if you comment
before then. Thanks.

Some non-obvious references:

"Trust" is a wonderful book by Francis Fukuyama, about how different
cultures have different kinds & degrees of trust, and what kind of
difference this makes in the economic activity that emerges from that society.

"The Other Path" is by the Peruvian economist Hernando De Soto, analyzing
Peru's "informal" economy.  "Informal" is his brilliant relabelling of what
would more conventionally be called a black market.

"Dyson" is Esther, not Freeman.

After this, I'll be on vacation till the end of May, and not generally
accessible.