Java 1.3

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:56:02 -0700

I just got email notification that Sun has officially shipped java 1.3. It
includes a client hotspot jvm, and they claim a 40% decrease in startup time
and a 25% decrease in RAM footprint, both of which are very attractive.

If I try to run this, will I run into the same problem with the cryptix
libraries that I ran into with the IBM jvm?

Meanwhile, markm, it would seem that putting off till tomorrow what you
could do today sometimes pays off. I believe that java 1.3 will supercede
1.2 with much greater speed than 1.2 is supplanting 1.1 (the big holdup was
the browsers, neither netscape nor microsoft have yet made their browsers
move to 1.2, presumably the new plugin architectures will make 1.3 as
straightforward an upgrade as 1.2). Consequently, I think you should
implement deflectors for 1.3, and forget 1.2, since for 1.3 it is trivial.

--marcs