[E-Lang] Announcing stl-E 0.8.9k: An interim non-distributed release

Ken Kahn kenkahn@toontalk.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:58:11 -0800

From: "Marc Stiegler" <marcs@skyhunter.com>

[snip]
> This launcher starts the app with these authorities:
>     --read and write the single document which the user wants the app to
> edit
[snip]

> This is a ridiculously tiny set of authorities. Yet these are exactly the
> authorites that common office apps need.

I'm unclear about some of this. Suppose you use the launcher to start a word
processor on a "single document" and all is well. Then you run the spell
checker and you add a few words to your custom dictionary. How does the app
save your dictionary if it only has the authority to write the main
document?  Lots of similar examples occur with "office" applications.
Another example, is that I find it convenient that when I start MS Word that
it shows me a list of the most recent files I've loaded so I can more
quickly indicate which file I want. But that list needs to be stored
somewhere...

Best,

-ken