[E-Lang] Performance and complete mediation

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@eros-os.org
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:26:38 -0400

> > After a fair amount of tuning effort, our round trip trivial
> > request time was 1 ms on a 300 MHz Pentium.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood something, but it seems that the stack introspection
> paper argued that this is orders of magnitude larger than one would like.
> Am I missing something?

Apples and Oranges. Alan is describing the round trip time between two
machines. The vast majority of that time consists of wire transfer, protocol
stack, and runtime overhead that has nothing to do with mediation.

Jonathan