black-box re-use? (was: Re: [E-Lang] MintMaker with ACLs)

Tyler Close tclose@oilspace.com
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:56:07 -0000

Zooko wrote:
> For example if there are other users, or other programmers,
> currently
> using the basic mint code, without the "see-balance-only"
> feature, is
> it the case that adding the feature to MintMaker will be
> less likely to
> disrupt them than adding the same feature to HalMint?

You're right on the money, but I would phrase it as "will not disrupt
them" rather than "less likely to". Their rights did not change in any
way. They are totally unaffected.

> Is this difference a necessary consequence of the security
> models, or a
> design decision on the part of language designers, or a
> design decision
> on the part of the programmers, MarkM(?) and Hal?

You didn't ask me, but I think it's inherent to the security model.
The access check is at the subject. If the subject doesn't check,
there is no check. What else can be said?

Tyler