[E-Lang] MintMaker with ACLs

Tyler Close tclose@oilspace.com
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:38:29 -0000

Jonathan wrote:
> > Yes, this would work. This solution would require that
> every principal
> > in the application have its own process and that all communication
> > between principals take place through RPC... Are you
> proposing a system
> > in which it is easy and
> > efficient to spawn new processes and do synchronous RPC? It seems
> > unlikely that this will fit as naturally with the function call
> > support of a typical CPU.
>
> Oh indeed. EROS is decidedly unnatural. It does, however,
> seem to work
> fairly well. :-)

Interesting, it didn't immediately occur to me that Hal had solved the
problem my making callback objects capabilities.

Just out of curiosity, how fast is a cross process synchronous RPC
call compared to a normal function call? Surely this doesn't scale
down to doing internal iteration on a container such as a list?

Tyler