[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: WelcomeChrisSkalkaandScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:56:14 -0700

> I don't tend to find that I need access control on such a fine level
> of granularity as pointers.

This intrigues me simply because I have found it so convenient when writing
secure distributed software. I never have to invent a security boundary, the
security boundary is simply there whenever I pass an object. It makes my
coding life and my security analysis life much easier.

Without such fine grain security, you cannot use the Principle of Least
Authority. Completely aside from the discussion of ACLs and capabilities,
does not POLA seem like a logical, even necessary, best-practice for humans
to follow when trying to write secure software? It seems like a crucial part
of our inventory of weapons for dealing with our own fallibility.

--marcs