[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: WelcomeChrisSkalkaandSco ttSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Karp, Alan alan_karp@hp.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:49:09 -0800

There is one benefit of capabilities that hasn't been mentioned on this list
for a while, scalability.  When we started work on e-speak, we assumed we'd
be dealing with a million machines and at least that many users.  ACLS,
which require an entry per user (process, of course, but we didn't
understand that then) was unworkable.  Even worse, the ACL needs one entry
per *potential* user, not *actual* user.  Groups are the only way that I
have seen used with ACLs to address this problem, but groups are far too
coarse a mechanism.

Capabilities scale much better.  I only need one per authority that I wish
to grant.  It doesn't matter how many people use it.  E-speak Beta 2.2 went
ever further in that the owner of a resource could decide what permissions
on that resource were associated with each capability.  Thus, one capability
could be used to read one file, write another file, and view an account
balance.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department