[E-Lang] Quantum computing and capabilities

Chris Hibbert hibbertc@pacbell.net
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:45:55 -0700

Ralph Hartley wrote:
> But quantum cryptography is strictly stronger than one time pads,
> because it does not require a trusted courier.

QC requires something even stronger than a trusted courier: it requires
an on-line connection between the parties.  In exchange you get an
assurance that the bits weren't tampered with, but I can imagine lots of
circumstances when a trusted courier is feasible, and a fiber link (or
the equivalent) is not.  One is Vinge's: interstellar communication.  Or
am I missing something about setting up a quantum cryptographic connection?

Chris