[E-Lang] Quantum computing and capabilities

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:45:34 +0000

Chris Hibbert wrote:

> Ralph Hartley wrote:
> > There is no reason in principle that photons cannot be stored. I
> > recently read of experiment in which this was done. In any event, qbits
> > can be converted into electron or proton spins, quantized currents in
> > superconductors etc., and they can be stored for a long time.
>
> I read about the result as well.  It's not really clear that techniques
> like that will be developed to the point that it would make sense to try
> to develop a system in which the receiver is, in any strong sense,
> off-line from the transmission of bits.  In principle, however, your
> point is correct.

Hmmm ... there's the work of Liu et al. (Nature 409, 490-3 "Observation
of coherent optical information storage in an atomic medium using halted
light pulses"). OK, they can only manage 1 millisecond, but it ain't bad
for starters!

Cheers,

Ben.

--