[E-Lang] Quantum computing and capabilities

Chris Hibbert hibbert@netcom.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:25:38 -0700

Ralph Hartley wrote:
> The quantum protocol requires pre
> distribution of the qbits, but only to within easy reach of the parties.
> You don't need to know in advance who on alpha centuari you want to
> communicate with.

I'll repeat what I said before to emphasize it: I think Ralph explained
how this is justified theoretically, and on the basis of the recent
experiments demonstrating storage of photons and their entangled
properties.  BUT, I don't see any reason to expect that this could ever
be turned into a practical and secure system.

Such a system (not needing to know who will eventually observe the
photons) would require a third party storing the photons long-term, and
enough trust to believe that that party hadn't found a way to exploit
their privileged access.

It's hard to believe they wouldn't be acting in cooperation with whoever
delivers bits over the same long distances.  They'd have lots of incentive.

Chris