[E-Lang] draft statement of consensus

Bill Frantz frantz@pwpconsult.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:43:26 -0800

At 10:24 AM -0800 2/7/01, Karp, Alan wrote:
>Sorry about the "trusting people" part.  People were trusted to obey the
>rules and not to divulge information to others who did not have the proper
>clearance.  I had intended to say that people weren't trusted with
>information from higher security levels.  Indeed, almost all of the Orange
>Book addresses mechanisms to ensure that programs faithfully carry out the
>information policies the people were trusted to obey.

Cool!  It took me a long time to realize that the Orange Book wasn't trying
to control bad people, as contrasted with their programs.  I think it is an
important insight.

Bill Frantz       | Microsoft Outlook, the     | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | hacker's path to your      | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | hard disk.                 | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA