[E-Lang] Announcing the Interim Internal E stl-0.8.9p Release

Dan Bornstein danfuzz@milk.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:04:20 -0800 (PST)

Mark S. Miller writes:
>Anyone know how to create file extension associations from KDE or Gnome?

I think it's more a matter of associating the magic number with the right
program, and then you'll work across the OS in general, not just in some
random GUI environment. On recent Linuxes, I think there's some "magic" you
can do in /proc to add new associations (which you can add to your
rc.local, or equivalent). On other Unices it may require adding a new
loadable kernel module or even modifying and recompiling the kernel.

A friend of mine recently went through this exercise in order to make jar
files marked executable do the "right" thing on Linux. (Note, there's no
obvious right way to control things like heap/stack size or provide other
VM control commandline arguments in this situation.) If you're interested,
I'll pry him for details.

So, you have to make sure that something in the first dozen or so bytes of
your files can uniquely identify your various types, and then key off of
that. For text scripts, you're probably best off sticking with the old
"#!/usr/bin/env" trick.

-dan