[E-Lang] Announcing the Interim Internal E stl-0.8.9p Release

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:34:38 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Mark S. Miller wrote:
> Anyone know how to create file extension associations from KDE or Gnome?  Is
> it per desktop environment, or is there a more widely accepted way to do
> this?  Can it be done from Java?

Most programs use the "mime.types" and "mailcap" files to accomplish
this.  The former establishes extension-to-file-type bindings; the
latter establishes file-type-to-application bindings.  All you have
to do is add a line to ~/.mime.types like this:

    type=text/e-script desc="E script" exts="e"

and a line in ~/.mailcap like this:

    text/e-script; java org.erights.e.elang.syntax.EMain %s

The corresponding files at a system-wide level are /etc/mailcap
and /etc/mime.types, but those are only writable by root.

I would expect that if KDE and GNOME were reasonably implemented,
they would honour the information in these files for backward
compatibility.  I don't know if they do, though.

Detailed instructions for exactly what to do with GNOME at

    http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/SystemConfig/mime-info.html

and with KDE at

    http://www.antipope.org/charlie/nonfiction/linux/wibble/kde_custom.html

In all cases this just involves installing a few small text files,
so it is pretty easy to do from anywhere, including Java.

-- ?!ng

Happiness comes more from loving than being loved; and often when our
affection seems wounded it is is only our vanity bleeding. To love, and
to be hurt often, and to love again--this is the brave and happy life.
    -- J. E. Buchrose