[E-Lang] Syntax change: reducing side-effects

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:12:40 -0700

I do not believe that Dean's proposal would interfere with your development
style, though I will let dean and markm address your concerns directly.

I sometimes work in a fashion similar to yours, though with different tools.
If you have seen the EBrowser that markm ships with the E distribution, that
is the smaller, simpler, earlier version of the EBrowser development
environment I use today.

Among the enhancements in the "current" version of EBrowser, it includes an
Elmer-based scratchpad. When I come to something that I am not sure will
work (often because it is a call to the Java API whose output is a little
ambiguous), I will write it and exercise it in the scratchpad first, then
cut/paste it into the main program. This is a little clumsier than is really
desireable because I have not yet built a filter to strip out the "?" and
">" prefixes in Elmer executable statements when I paste it. But I think the
idea is the same.

--marcs