[E-Lang] Syntax change: reducing side-effects

Dan Moniz dnm@pobox.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:39:11 -0500

On 2/11/01 10:13 PM, "zooko@mad-scientist.com" <zooko@mad-scientist.com>

> Bravo!  Satisfying common programmer assumptions and thus preventing
> subtle and confusing bugs seems like a huge win to me.  (Caveat:
> I've never written a line of E, or actually I've never *executed* a
> line of E though I've written several in the margins of printouts.)
> Also the possibilities for optimization on the part of a
> compiler/interpreter are enticing.

I fully support anything that'll make my work easier, of course, and this,
along with the new twine data type are welcome changes.

Something I was thinking of the other day -- Eiffel-like Design by Contract
in E. Doable? If so, here's a completely not-thought-out extrapolation:
Smart Contracts in E that contract other E installations to build E
programs. Self-generating mobile code (of a sort) designed by contract
(complete with confinement, etc.).

I have to run the idea through more particular paces, and see if there are
any real places it would be valuable, but it seems, at first glance, to be

Dan Moniz <dnm@pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]