[E-Lang] Announcing E stl-0.8.9s: Variables are now default final

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:07:38 -0800

http://www.erights.org/download/stl-0-8-9-s/index.html is the "s" release in
this series, and the first release by the Steve & MarkM show.  (That's Steve
Jenson of openCOLA.)  This release fully incorporates Dean's "var" proposal,
which Steve & I have been programming with happily.

We don't yet have a static check to be sure that an E program is compatible
with the new spec.  (Such a static checker is easy, we just haven't done
it.)  However, I think I've fixed the vast majority of the E code contained
in this release to say "var" where it should.  As Dean predicted, it's a
small fraction the variables.  But I'm sure I still missed some, so expect
this change to have introduced new "missing var" bugs until we actually
write this static checker.  (Won't be within the next 2 weeks for sure though.)

Such bugs will manifest as a thrown ClassCastException complaining about the
type FinalSlot.  It's complaining that it tried to assign to a final variable.