[E-Lang] ERTP-aware MintMaker

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:43:07 -0800

To my knowledge no capability-based security program has ever been subjected
to the kind of open public scrutiny Hal and Tyler have brought to this
MintMaker.    Yes, just these few days has exceeded the entire history to
date of open public scrutiny of capability programs, whether expressed in a
capability language or built to run a capability OS.  Such scrutiny has
often been applied to crypto systems, with great success, or with the
security of established open source systems, like Linux, which happen to be
ACLish.  Till today I could only look over at that and gnash my teeth with
envy.  This is the only process that can ever give real confidence in the
security of a system, if it is applied to a system that can be made secure.

I feel like today we have entered into that new world.  Besides making these
particular programs secure, we will come to understand, though a publicly
archived and re-reviewable process, what programming practices, patterns,
and processes lead towards or away from danger.  It is often said that taste
is a compiled form of a large bag of heuristics.  In general, our experience
and the shared experiences of others shapes our tastes of what makes a good
program.  It is a form of deep look-ahead.  "If you do it this way, it will
remain modular and smooth."  Modern programming taste has evolved over
generations of time as ever more such lessons are compiled in.

We have now started down this path for capability programs.  This wouldn't
have been possible without the open source process, which is to say as well,
it wouldn't have been possible without y'all -- the participants of this
list.  I am deeply grateful.