[E-Lang] ERTP-aware MintMaker

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@cs.jhu.edu
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:49:20 -0500

"Mark S. Miller" wrote:

> But given the nature of secrecy, this lack of knowledge
> constitutes little evidence of lack of corruption, which is sorta the point.

First, thanks for the clarification. I understand your point, and I
agree with the objective.

To be clear, the reason I pushed you on this is that there are a
considerable number of people within the assurance community who we
would like to encourage and welcome into out community in due course.
All of those I have met have been people of the highest integrity. We
agree that their process has been less open than we want, but I would
like us to be very careful not to fall into the habit of suspecting
these individuals or even speaking in a way that gives the *appearance*
of distrusting them. Fostering an "us vs. them" mentality here is self
defeating -- especially when the majority of them seem already to agree
and are silent supporters of the method you advocate (though they want
rigour too).

So I apologize for so completely misreading your note. This issue of
community is what actually triggered me to respond, and I think that it
is worth paying attention to.

Jonathan