[E-Lang] Combining strong authentication and secrecy protocols.

zooko@mad-scientist.com zooko@mad-scientist.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:59:18 -0800

> I am pleased to have run across an idea from Xerox called CBCC. I
> don't have the precise details of their code but the idea is
> extraordinarily simple. If you include a simple checksum in the
> plaintext and code and decode using CBC check the sum then you have
> strong authentication.

Also see the work on "encryption with message integrity for free" for
symmetric encyption, mostly done in the context of chaining modes for
AES.

http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/modes/workshop1/index.html#proposals

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/rogaway00ocb.html
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/384472.html
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/381592.html
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/knudsen00block.html

And a very stimulating discussion of related techniques...

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/bellare-encodethenencipher.html

Regards,

Zooko

P.S.  I haven't read about CBCC yet, so I don't know how much overlap
there is here.