[E-Lang] get, set, and dot

Karp, Alan alan_karp@hp.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:53:21 -0800

I don't like the dot notation because it hides a semantically useful
concept.  There is a real difference between foo.blah=1 for a public
variable and foo.setblah(1) with a public method.  Using the latter assures
me that any necessary checking is being done.  Similarly, bar = foo.blah on
a public variable is guaranteed to be free of side effects and that it
really assigns the value of the public variable; bar = foo.getblah() does
not.

Actually, I'm opposed to the use of public variables.  All variables should
be private and accessed with getters and setters.  The only justification
seems to be efficiency and saving a few lines of typing.  I don't find the
extra typing to be a burden, and modern compilers are real good at inlining.
Besides, if you always use getters and setters, you won't break anyone's
code when you need to do more with the variable.  Of course, you can get
this behavior by always interpreting foo.blah as foo.getblah() or
foo.setblah(), but it has problems.  Maybe because my mother tongue is
Fortran I often type = when I mean ==.  If I type

	if ( foo.blah = 1 )

by mistake, something bad happens.  If I type

	if ( foo.getblah() = 1 )

by mistake, the compiler tells me I've got an error.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories MS 1U-2