[E-Lang] get, set, and dot

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:27:07 -0700

In your earlier example, would the statement

s = SpamLump

throw a syntax error, or would it assign to s the class object? If it throws
a syntax error, the situation is very different. If this is a valid syntax
for assigning SpamLump to s, I am surprised that you think no one would ever
make a mistake. To this day I still forget to put parens on parameterless C
functions...possibly because I learned Pascal before learning C, I suppose.

showing it to me. Second of all, let me take a moment to be a Petulant E
Programmer and observe that, if you thought the transition to this Python
syntax was easy from Java, then every conceivable variation on the E
construction syntax should be fine, because none of them are worse than what
you just showed me from Python :-) Hopefully, this is not so much a
criticism of Python as it is a praise of E :-)

--marcs