[E-Lang] get, set, and dot

zooko@zooko.com zooko@zooko.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:43:21 -0800

 MarcS wrote:

> In your earlier example, would the statement
>
> s = SpamLump
>
> throw a syntax error, or would it assign to s the class object?

The latter.

> If this is a valid syntax
> for assigning SpamLump to s, I am surprised that you think no one would ever
> make a mistake. To this day I still forget to put parens on parameterless C
> functions...possibly because I learned Pascal before learning C, I suppose.

Hm.  Well, in my experience nobody makes this kind of mistake, but
perhaps that's because the people I work with very rarely assign
classes to variables.  Perhaps in E that kind of code would be a lot
more common -- I don't know.

> showing it to me. Second of all, let me take a moment to be a Petulant E
> Programmer and observe that, if you thought the transition to this Python
> syntax was easy from Java, then every conceivable variation on the E
> construction syntax should be fine, because none of them are worse than what
> you just showed me from Python :-) Hopefully, this is not so much a
> criticism of Python as it is a praise of E :-)

Yes, the E that I have looked at in examples, and scribbled in the
margins of documents, seems very straightforward.  I'm going to
continue being a Petulant O-O Programmer for now, rather than just
reading up on all the E syntax, because I think that accessibility to
newbie programmers is such a critically important feature.

Regards,

Zooko