[E-Lang] syntax for newbies: where's the dot?

Monty Zukowski mzukowski@bco.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:33:59 -0800

It's definately a new convention to get used to.  The C family of languages use
"x y" to mean declare y to be type x or for x to be some modifier of y.  Since E
has jettisoned static type declarations you've appropriated the syntax for
something else, leading to some confusion.  Dot as the method invocation
operator is explicit.  Whitespace as an operator?  Only if messaging is the
primary thing you do (wink).  But any way you look at it, it is a (small)
barrier to looking at the code fresh from the Java world and intuitively
understanding it.

The only reason I like it is because I'm an old Objective-C programmer and quite
used to seeing messages sent like [reciever msgName:var secondArg:var].

Monty