[E-Lang] Another E...

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:56:54 -0800

At 01:05 PM Saturday 2/24/01, Peter H. Froehlich wrote:
>Hi there!
>
>This might be well-known, or it might not be, and I wouldn't say you really have to care either. However, there is another "E" language that I know of which was developed from 1991 onward for the Amiga platform by Wouter van Oortmerssen. See http://wouter.fov120.com/e/index.html for details.

Hi Peter,

First, my apologies for the long delay before answering.  Due to some weird
delay somewhere, possibly in the mailing list software, I only now saw your
message.  It looks like you sent to the old address
<e-lang@eros.cis.upenn.edu> .  I have no idea whether this is responsible
for the problem, but you should instead send to the new address:
<e-lang@eros-os.org>.

My apologies again for another timing issue.  Our E language has been
gaining name recognition for itself since maybe 1996 or so, less time than
this other E, but also longer than my involvement.  If we had known of this
other E early in this process, we may have shifted to a different name.
Unfortunately, at this point, we are so heavily invested in name recognition
as "E" that I don't feel we can afford to change.

This kind of name conflict used to be quite common, and people seem to cope
with it fairly well.  Such conflicts seem to be becoming less common, because
the first step in deciding on a name is often to try to get the
corresponding <name>.{com,org}, forcing the conflict to be resolved early.
It's interesting that the name we're conflicting on is not available either
as a domain name or as a trademark, because it's a single letter.  (Though
does anyone know why "x.com" was able to acquire that name?)

But thanks for the info.