[E-Lang] Hash Chaining & Capabilities, Proposal #2d: Deputizi ng Remote Vats

Karp, Alan alan_karp@hp.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:38:13 -0800

A bearer certificate, as I understand your meaning, is a bag of bits that
can be passed by any means, including leaving a printed version on the bus.
I couldn't leave an e-speak key on the bus because it has no meaning out of
band.  I could take an explicit action to make the name available to someone
else, but that's not the same thing.  The e-speak key is like a bearer
certificate only in the sense that its user's identity is not a part of
allowing its use.  E-speak 3.0 capability certificates are issued to a
specific public key and do not have this property.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories MS 1U-2