[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: Welcome Chris Skalkaand ScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:37:59 -0800

At 04:13 PM Friday 1/19/01, Marc Stiegler wrote:
>Students of human neurology will note that
>there is a big chunk of the human brain custom-hardwired for the sole
>purpose of doing facial and gesture recognition.

This sounds like ACLs, not capabilities, as your own real world analogies
make clear.

face recognition == ID Badges == ACLs.

keys == capabilities.

In any case, security that works is vastly better than security that
doesn't, like credit cards.  I certainly agree that it's hard to learn
anything about the difference between secure systems by studying something
as hopelessly insecure as credit cards.