[E-Lang] Belated stl-0.8.9k Release Notes

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:23:37 -0800

When I announced the stl-0.8.9k internal release of E a while back, I wrote
and posted release notes on some of its differences, but many of the needed
release notes didn't get written.  stl-0.8.9k, because it doesn't have a
working comm system, is not a release intended for external use, but rather
to support internal development.  That's why the link at the bottom of the
download page still points at 0.8.9.

Since then, I've been working on a new internal release, tentatively named
stl-0.8.9m, with a few more differences, but mostly with a simplified build
and install system. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get it done in time to
post it before my trip. My apologies to those who were expecting it.

As these are internal developmental releases, their changes are more subject
to discussion and further revision than usual, before coming to be a
standard part of E.  That's why I felt free to release first and discuss &
revise later.  Let's see how well this methodology works out.

Before I further explain the properties of the upcoming release, the following
release notes explain the remaining changes in stl-0.8.9k.  Given my other
commitments (hooray!), I'm not yet sure when I'll have the time to complete
or explain the upcoming release.