[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: Welcome Chris SkalkaandScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Chris Hibbert hibbertc@pacbell.net
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:24:24 -0700

Ben Laurie wrote:
> You misunderstand me. I agree that if B makes copies of capabilities,
> that is not forgery. My point was that someone who has stolen B's keys
> is _also_ in a position to make copies, and it is that that I am
> referring to as forgery.

In this case, the someone already has B's keys, and has no need to make
an unauthorized copy.  In fact, in the capability world, by having
possession of the keys, he does have authority to make the copies.
Stealing and forgery are different things, and the case you've described
is one of theft.

Chris