[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: Welcome ChrisSkalkaandScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:37:18 +0000

Norman Hardy wrote:
> >This relates strongly to the whole discussion of "rely" in the technical
> >sense MarkM has used it.
>
> It is issues such as these for which the term "Trusted Computer Base", TCB was invented.
> See <http://cap-lore.com/CapTheory/Dist/DistTrust.html> about this. I talk about how a sensitive application may choose to distribute some more ciritical functions less far than some less critical functions.

It was discussing TCBs that got us into the whole discussion that led to
coining the term "rely". It was particularly the confusion between
cryptographic "trust" and the kind of trust you mean that led to wanting
a different word.

Cheers,

Ben.

--