the cost of complexity (was: Re: [E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: Welcome ChrisSkalkaand ScottSmith of Johns Hopkins))

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@eros-os.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:02:47 -0500

Zooko, all:

I wrote a set of strong opinions on the defense in depth issue, and I wrote
them in haste. In the process, I probably worded them more strongly than I
should have. My apologies in particular to Zooko.

The discussion, I think, is a productive one. I would simply like to see it
be more productive by recognizing that multiple different things are being
discussed as though they were the same. I believe that if we clearly
separate our discussions of policy and mechanism the entire discussion about
defense in depth will be clearer.

> I'm sorry if my small contribution (reminding David Wagner to include the
> cost of complexity in his argument) seemed like partisan bickering.

I did not take Zooko's contribution in any such way. I was responding to the
thread as a whole, and not to anything in particular that Zooko said.

Jonathan