[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: WelcomeChrisSkalkaand ScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@eros-os.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:10:15 -0500

> If you believe this is a reinvention of ACLs, I believe we desperately
need
> to see your definition of ACLs.  I can't for the life of me reconcile what
> you seem to be saying here with anything else I believe you to believe.
> (Well, maybe with some things, but not any regarding security.)

Actually, I spoke imprecisely. Moving the tags to the capabilities is a
significant and potentially interesting change.

However, they are NOT just relabeled capability systems, because the
capabilities in question can be very selectively revoked. Ultimately, the
problem here is that you don't care about the capability per se. You care
about the wielder.

Jonathan