[E-Lang] OpenCola's digital rights management

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@cs.jhu.edu
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:41:40 -0500

Ben Laurie wrote:
> Oh yeah? And how is this going to crawl my in-car MP3 player? Or,
> indeed, my home network? If they think I'm going to let their software
> sniff around my machines, they're on a rather different planet than the
> one I inhabit.

Actually, your car will be online very shortly for reasons of
maintenance feedback. It's one of the significant contemplated
applications for bluetooth.

A more fundamental question is: by what authority does this software
invade your machine? This is yet another place where shrink wrap
licenses can have unforseen consequences.

Jonathan